Community Briefs provides a listing of events and activities going on in and around the Oakdale, Riverbank and Escalon areas. To have an event featured, e-mail the information to email@example.com.
Monsters Take Over Stage
The second of the summer series of productions is scheduled this weekend, June 24 and 25, at Hutton’s Hamlet in Oakdale. For years, the sons and daughters of the world’s famous monsters (Dracula, The Wicked Witch, Wolfman, and more) have spent their summers at Camp Flonster, the only camp in the world where young monsters can be themselves. But this year the camp has a new director, the oppressive, diabolical Roseanne Finicula, who harbors a secret desire to rid the world of all monsters. Shows are scheduled for Friday, June 24 at 7 p.m.; Saturday, June 25 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tickets are $12 for adults, $8 for those 12 and under. Hutton’s Hamlet Performing Arts Center is at 132 W. G St., Oakdale. Call for more information, 209-848-1216.
Benefit Poker Event
A Texas Hold’Em Tournament is scheduled at the Escalon Grange Hall, 1840 Main St., Escalon, on Saturday, June 25. Registration begins at 11 a.m. and the play will begin at noon sharp. The buy in is $150, which holds your spot in the tournament. There will also be a re-buy for the first two hours and add-ons available at $75 for a half-stack at registration. Helping coordinate this inaugural Escalon Grange Hall Poker Fundraiser is Grange President, Steve Scott. Payouts for the tournament itself are to be determined once all re-buys and add-ons are calculated. A total of 40 percent of the pot will go to the Grange Hall for facility improvements, the other 60 percent will make up the prize pool for the June 25 tournament. Scott can be reached regarding the rental at 209-404-2889 or contact Diana Scott, 209-404-9923; or Ray Krieger, 209-606-6966, for more information.
Weight Loss Group
All interested are welcome to join TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly) a weight support group that meets in Oakdale every Monday morning from 8:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. at the Community United Methodist Church on Poplar. This group is open to the public and anyone interested in improving their life by losing weight can contact Audrey for more information, call 209-765-7838.
Widowed Persons Support
Oakdale Widowed Persons Group invites you to join them the first Saturday of each month for breakfast at 9 a.m. and on the third Tuesday of each month for lunch at 1 p.m.; call for locations. All are welcome to join the group no matter how long ago you lost your spouse. For more information, contact Barbara at 209-322-2184.
Check out the Golden Agers at the Riverbank Community Center on Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., with dancing, socializing, live music and fun for all. All adults 55-plus are welcome. Just drop in to check it out or become a member. Fees are $5 for members and $6 for non-members. Membership is $15; contact Ellie DeJesus at 209-277-5584 or Lupe Padron at 209-573-5014. The Community Center is at 3600 Santa Fe St., Riverbank.