By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Flurry of activity in city over July 4th holiday period
7-10 fireworks
Despite the triple digit heat during the day, streets, driveways and other open spaces saw a multitude of ‘Safe and Sane’ fireworks set off on Thursday, July 4, in Riverbank. Illegal explosions and booms were also seen and heard in many areas, shooting above rooftops up until about midnight. Ric McGinnis/The News

On what became yet another triple-digit day here in Central California, Riverbank residents took time on the Fourth of July to celebrate our nation’s Independence Day with of plenty state Fire Marshal-approved ‘Safe and Sane’ fireworks in neighborhoods around town.

Some, with multiple families celebrating in a block, lit up streets with multicolor sparks and flames.

But, there were the illegal fireworks in evidence as well, those shooting high up into the dark night, with loud bangs and large umbrellas of sparks and flaming ashes flying through the sky. Some, set off from Northern Modesto, were easily visible here, as were those launched from inside the city limits.

Citations for illegal fireworks were to be issued by Riverbank Police Services, with accompanying fines ranging from $1,000 to $3,000 for multiple infractions, but the number issued over the long holiday weekend – Thursday to Sunday – was not available by press time.

In some neighborhoods, the banging of fireworks continued past midnight.

Meanwhile, the luck of residents in one Riverbank neighborhood turned bad during the holiday period, as they found themselves without power during the heat of a 109-degree day.

An unfortunate turn of events that concluded the Fourth of July week found those living on Don Rafael Avenue, in western Riverbank, without power starting about 2 p.m. on Saturday, July 6.

A large crew of PG&E workers turned out to tend to the problem, with numerous trucks and other pieces of heavy equipment to do the work. Residents had to watch the work from outside their homes to get some relief from the heat.

The repair took a turn for the worse when workers accidentally broke a water line, shutting it off from the home where they were working.

Residents reported that power was finally back on about 11:30 p.m. Saturday, and the water line was repaired, as well.

PGE 710
PG&E crews work to restore power in a western Riverbank neighborhood over the weekend, on what was then the hottest day of the year so far. A number of homes in the Don Rafael Avenue area were without electricity from around 2 p.m. Saturday, July 6, until past 11 p.m. Ric McGinnis/The News