Those interested in helping to preserve the history of Riverbank are invited to join the Historical Society at its upcoming annual dinner and installation of officers.
Slated to be inducted are members of the organization’s board of directors and those serving on several committees.
The Riverbank Historical Society installation dinner is set for Saturday, Feb. 8 at 6 p.m. at Perko’s Restaurant in Riverbank. Those attending are invited to order off the menu, and are also encouraged to bring a friend to the event to learn more about the organization.
The society volunteers organize and staff the Riverbank Historical Museum at 3237 Santa Fe St., in downtown Riverbank. It’s located across the alley from City Hall North on Third Street and across Santa Fe from City Hall South.
The City of Riverbank owns the museum building, which was built as a Carnegie Library in 1921, while the society maintains the collections and staffs the museum. The building has been listed on the National Registry of Historic Places since Feb. 3, 1997.
The city has purchased the property next door with plans for additional museum space, but the society is tasked with raising the money to construct the building.
In addition to several major events over the past year, the Historical Society has prepared a preliminary design for the annex. Previous fundraising in the campaign included special movie showings at the IMAX Theatre at the Galaxy complex.
Officials have said they find it necessary to build an annex to be able to house all the photos, documents, pieces of equipment and other items it owns. Some are currently in storage, with others housed in a warehouse, including the 1919 Model T Ford fire engine donated by the Riverbank Volunteer Firefighters, who originally purchased it.
Other large items include a long oak bench that was recovered from the fire in 2003 that destroyed the Santa Fe Railroad Depot, and a large safe from the original Riverbank Water Company.
Next up for the Historical Society after the dinner is its yearly After-Mother’s Day Omelette Breakfast. Held every year on the Sunday following Mother’s Day in May, this event raises the money the society uses to operate the museum and maintain its contents.
Money raised at other events will go toward building the annex.
The current museum is open on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 10 a.m. until noon, and Saturdays from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. It is staffed by volunteers.
New members are always welcome, and yearly dues can be paid at the installation dinner.