A reminder to all local residents, now that the holidays are over and people are most likely taking down all the Christmas decorations, there is a way to dispose of the Christmas tree.
The city’s garbage provider, Gilton Solid Waste Management, has been doing curbside collections of Christmas trees since Monday, Jan. 6 and the program will continue through Friday, Jan. 17.
Guidelines are as follows:
• Trees will be collected on customer’s garbage collection day only
• Trees must be placed by the front curb on the street surface (even if you have alley service for your garbage)
• Trees must be placed a minimum of six feet away from vehicles or refuse cans
• All metal stands, lights and ornaments must be removed (wood stands are okay)
• Any flocked or painted trees should be cut up and put in the black garbage can
If you happen to miss the collection days, Gilton encourages customers to cut up their trees and put them in their green waste container (grey can), making sure that the lid closes.